At All Creatures Animal Hospital in Granbury, our team understands the importance of taking care of animals throughout all life stages, including our senior companions. Taking care of a senior pet correctly means it can live a longer, healthier life. As senior pets age, they can encounter different age-related health problems and need more care than younger animals. We're proud to offer a variety of services to help your furry friends well into their golden years.
Senior Pets Need More Attention
Older pets require routine healthcare and exams to monitor their changing needs. We provide specialized senior pet wellness plans that include regular blood work and testing, dental cleanings, exams, behavioral counseling, and more. We can help keep your aging animal companion happy, healthy, and active for years to come.
Our veterinary team follows the necessary protocols to ensure your pet maintains a quality of life and lives as long as possible. Below is what pet owners can expect from a senior pet wellness exam:
- Comprehensive check-ups: A senior pet wellness exam includes a full physical examination, weight and body condition assessment, and listening to your pet's heart and lungs.
- Blood work: Many age-related health problems can manifest in older animals. We strongly recommend routine blood work to check their health status and detect potential issues early.
- Diet and nutritional counseling: As senior pets age, their changing dietary needs must be addressed. Senior pet nutrition can include changes in protein and calorie content and supplementing with vitamins and minerals that may be lost during the aging process.
- Regular lab work: This allows us to check for issues such as diabetes, kidney disease, arthritis, and other common medical problems.
- Behavioral counseling: As pets age, they can experience changes in their behavior and cognitive functions. Routine behavioral counseling will help you address any issues and prevent them from becoming bigger problems.
How to Help Your Senior Pet at Home
In addition to regular senior pet wellness exams and treatment, there are many things you can do at home to ensure your aging companion maintains a high quality of life. Provide a comfortable and stress-free living environment free from loud noises and sudden movements. Ensure your pet has plenty of toys and attention to keep it active and engaged. Talk to our veterinarians about nutritional changes, physical therapy, medication, and supplements that can help your pet stay healthy and happy.
Contact Our Veterinarians in Granbury, TX
If you have questions about caring for a senior pet, our team at All Creatures Animal Hospital is here to help. We welcome you to contact us to learn more about our specialized senior pet wellness plans and services. Call our team today at (817) 326-6262 or reach us through our website by using our online contact form.